What was the last film you watched?

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post  anotherzen on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:43 pm

Daan wrote:3:10 to Yuma (2007) 9/10

I always thought that newer western films were fake and boring, but this was awesome.
I haven't seen the original so that one could be better.

i agree, 3:10 is very nice. If you are into westerns, i would recommend Open Range, Appaloosa, and Seraphim Falls.
All three are worth checking out if you havent seen them allready, and they are all very
different from eachother Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan on Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:20 pm

anotherzen wrote:
i would recommend Open Range, Appaloosa, and Seraphim Falls.
All three are worth checking out if you havent seen them allready, and they are all very
different from eachother Smile

I will definitely check those out, the plot of seraphim falls sounds very cool.
Daan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:44 pm

7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964)

I saw this in a theater during it's initial release, and just watched it again for the first time since then. It's extremely loosely based on one of my favorite novels, "The Circus of Dr. Lao", but almost all of the philosophical discussions of the book, and even the majority of the characters, have been changed or removed from the movie.

That isn't to say the movie is bad. It was turned into a vehicle for it's star, Tony Randall, who plays the 7 different characters of the title (and even makes a cameo as himself late in the film), and for the special effects of director George Pal, although his effects here pale in compaison to his earlier work such as When Worlds Collide.

And after all these years, it was fun seeing it again.

pjowens75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Batman/Superman: Public Enemies
8/10

Pretty good, altho way too short and not so epic as i had hoped for ^^.
It was still a great watch and Batman was in his cool grey and black outfit, voiced by the allways exelent Kevin Conroy.

Art and animation was it standard self, i did not like the way Superman's face looked in this one, he looked just wierd,
but quickly forgot that when the action started. The rest of the character designs where more or less the same as the
other animated adventures.

ps.
I also watched the first episode of the Super Hero Squad Show
and i was like WTF!!?

Last edited by anotherzen on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Inglorious Basterds 8/10

I really liked this one, some really graphic stuff.
Daan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Surrogates
7/10

Good sci-fi action with an incredibly young Bruce Willis ^^ he looks so young its freaky to watch,
and its perfectly made too. im guessing a blend of cgi and makeup. As for the rest of the movie
its a mix between i Robot and Gamer, with a touch of Matrix.

Story is relevant to an extent, but mostly its mindless and fun. Good acting, the surrogates look
freakishly real and fake at the same, nicely done film. I was hoping for more mystery and darker
type of movie tho, but still its well worth the watch Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:35 pm

Surrogates

6 / 10

Saw it the other night. I enjoyed it but it felt like it was 10 years old and a lot like I, Robot.

Bruce Willis was very good though and I loved the chase scene with his one armed Surrogate going after the bloke with the weapon.
Live for Films
Admin

View user profile http://www.liveforfilms.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:25 am

Busy movie weekend for me.

CORALINE
Enjoyed it a great deal. From the same people as A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, and it's good to see them back in form after the mess of CORPSE BRIDE.

ZOMBIELAND
WOOHOO!!! What can I say except "WHAT A KICK!!" I'm not much for blood & gore in movies, but this carnival ride was so much fun I didn't care. In fact, I was laughing so much that I'm going to have to see it again to catch all the lines I missed because I was roaring. Spilled my soda at one point. Absolutely, 100% entertained!!

WATCHMEN
On the one hand, I was impressed by how faithfully the move stayed with the source material. But that may also be what led to it's downfall as a film. Graphic novels and film are two completely different mediums, each with their own pacings and sensibilities. The slow deliberate pacing of the graphic novel just doesn't work on film. I also think the general public was expecting a typical super-hero action movie, and when they didn't get that, turned its back on it. I think that time will be much kinder to this movie than the critics & audiences were.

pjowens75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Doghouse
5/10

if it hadn't been for the blatant Shaun of the Dead ripoff and the poor script, dialogue
and plot.. it could have worked. Tho, the acting is ok, setting is ok, some nice effects here and there. you know the basics, lighting,
cutting aso. But as far as zombie flicks go, this one ain't worth the time.

I couldn't even tell that Billy Murray had a cameo/appearance, had to check out where he was, and even then i was like.. hmm really?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:49 pm

the Taking of Pelham 1 2 3
6.5/10

just above average thriller movie with two big names. pretty bad plot and storytelling,
but Wasington and Travolta somehow makes it work anyway.

Last edited by anotherzen on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 pm

Spiderman 3

i liked spiderman 1, 2 was okay but this...YAWN.
i could guess the ending after the first 20 minutes of the movie, it had some sweet action in it, but thats all.
And the scenes where Parker became agressive?? wtf was up with that, the pelvic thrusts, the finger snaps ( i guess they really went for that so cool, its just not cool anymore look/style)

5/10.

Three Kings

Awesome movie, love it. 8/10
Daan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:00 pm

AEON FLUX

I like this movie. Maybe it's a guilty pleasure, but despite all its faults, and there are many, it is still fun and entertaining. I think one of the reasons it may have been so panned, by both critics and the public, was because it just couldn't live up to it's reputation. I am a major fan of the original MTV animations, and will be watching all of them again this weekend. But the movie seemed like an entirely different concept, and in comparison to the originals, it just doesn't work.

But as an exercise in pure fun & entertainment (and, let's face it, Charlize Theron in spandex), there are much worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

pjowens75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:50 pm

the Tournament
5/10

i liked my vision better ^^

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:49 pm

PAN'S LABYRINTH
Spanish title:El Laberinto Del Fauno

Watched this for the second time, because I wasn't that impressed with it the first time. I mean, I've always thought it's a good film, I just never understood all the "best film of the decade" hype that was being showered upon it.

This time through, I was much more impressed. It is one of the best examples of a director staying true to his vision that I have seen in a while. Del Toro made a very emotional film, without resorting to any "tricks" to evoke those emotions. Most impressive, perhaps, was the wonderful blending of fantasy & reality. Well worth watching again.

pjowens75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:52 am

Pan's Labyrinth is great indeed Smile it reminds me a bit of Terry Gilliam's Tideland witch i think
prolly is one of the most under-rated movies, atleast on imdb ^^ They are both similar in storytelling
and story overall. But that might be because they both seem to be Alice in Wonderland inspired. Anywho,
worth checking out.

Watched the latest Steven Seagal movie last night...
the Keeper
6.5/10

Solid effort from Seagal in this one, tho i would rename the movies title to Over Excessive or Excessive Force,
because that is what Seagal uses when he fights people in this movie hehe, more so than most other movies.

Its an okay action flick, as its Direct to DVD don't expect a big budget, and its very much a
Man on Fire wannabe. Still i found it the best movie Seagal has been in since Half Past Dead
and prolly Belly of the Beast witch i can't remember, cause i watch them all,
and most of them just goes into this big meltingpot of the awesome that is Steven Seagal Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Catch me if you can 8/10

Great intro, i love that tune, wich also runs through the entire movie.
Daan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:47 am

Moon
9/10

Very interesting and awesome movie, and a bit horrifying. I hadn't read anything about it
and only watched a teaser/trailer way way back, so the story was very surprising.

Gave it 1 short of 10 because of what i think was a plothole, but then again, watching it over
again i might find what i am looking for. And if i do, ill give it a straight 10 Wink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:09 pm

RE: MOON

There is a campaign online to get Sam Rockwell an Oscar nomination. I've pretty much ignored it because I haven't seen the movie yet (never hit a local theater so I'm waiting for DVD). Do you think he deserves one?

pjowens75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:55 pm

pjowens75 wrote:RE: MOON

There is a campaign online to get Sam Rockwell an Oscar nomination. I've pretty much ignored it because I haven't seen the movie yet (never hit a local theater so I'm waiting for DVD). Do you think he deserves one?

well, i don't really know, his performance was pretty good, for a nomenee, sure, but winning it.. i don't know, i don't know who he
will be up against, i haven't seen many better than him so far, but then again, the Oscars are pretty biased, and much of the stuff
they give Oscars to are boring hollywood mumbo jumbo, and that just ain't either Moon or Sam Rockwell.

But yeah, if it where up to me, id put him up there for the shere recognition he deserves, as for the actuall Oscar, id have to wait till
i see the other contestants, but so far, his got my vote Smile Being an independent movie, can they give Oscars to them?
hehe, i don't really know the rules.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:36 pm

MOON OVER TAO (Tao no tsuki - Japanese title)

Being somewhat a fan of traditional samurai films, and a major science fiction film fan, I was intrigued when this combination of the two popped into my "recommended" list at Netflix. I was expecting something along the lines of Miike's THE GREAT YOKAI WAR, and was really hoping to like it. Sorry to say, it didn't work. Too bad, because the combination of traditional and sci-fi that interested me to begin with, turned out to be it's downfall. The sci-fi aspects just made no sense. Whereas there was a lot of potential in the samurai relationships that could have been explored.

Not as bad as Japanese "men-in-rubber-suits" monster movies, but not as fun or as campy as something like ZEIRAM.

pjowens75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:41 pm

Astro Boy (2009)
5/10

Not having seen the original series, or the 80s series, or the newer series, or read the manga aso. Razz
i still found it lacking and just too un-original and over mainstream. Kids might like it, but its just a big meh.
Especialy as the original story had alot more adult content, and still made the kids awe, as far as i know atleast.
Some nice action sequences, and the CGI is on par with the rest of the usual stuff.

the Maiden Heist
7,5/10

Funny little movie with a superb cast that just makes the movie warm and joyfull. Makes a perfect DvD
to watch for the holidays.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:37 pm

Monsters vs Aliens
6/10

Another mediocre animated thingomajig..thingy. Some funny elements, but falls short on most of the
story, humor and characters, especially the main villain, its like i have seen that design for a character before...

Got one scene that is worth the watch tho, when the President plays Axel F on a synth/keyboard. Priceless.
Alot of references and nods to classic horror and sci-fi movies. Like the Blob where one scene from the
50s version i think is recreated pretty nicely.

Other than that, overall ok kids movie, but mostly made to cash in on the children.

ps. i spottet a big goof in it too, Ginormica (the girl that becomes big) gets small at one time, and she
races through some walls that she broke open when she was big. When she passes through the same holes
she made when she was big, they are now just as small as she is. someone on IMDB allready posted it tho :/

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:30 pm

EQUILIBRIUM

I'd heard a lot about this movie and just now got around to watching it. I really enjoyed it! It is often compared with THE MATRIX, and it's easy to see why: many of the action sequences (and even costumes) could have been lifted directly from that film. But I like EQUILIBRIUM better. It has a more intelligent script (think 1984/Fahrenheit 451 meets The Matrix), and a main character, played quite well by Christian Bale, that I cared about a lot more than I cared about Neo.

Highly recommended.

pjowens75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:26 pm

pjowens75 wrote:EQUILIBRIUM

I'd heard a lot about this movie and just now got around to watching it. I really enjoyed it! It is often compared with THE MATRIX, and it's easy to see why: many of the action sequences (and even costumes) could have been lifted directly from that film. But I like EQUILIBRIUM better. It has a more intelligent script (think 1984/Fahrenheit 451 meets The Matrix), and a main character, played quite well by Christian Bale, that I cared about a lot more than I cared about Neo.

Highly recommended.

Indeed a good movie, and great fighting sequences with "gunkata" i believe they call it, martial arts with guns, can't go wrong with that hehe.

Fun trivia from IMDB:
John Preston kills 118 characters in this movie, which makes him responsible for exactly half of the total 236 deaths shown. As of 2009,
he continues to hold the 3rd place record for most deaths in a movie caused by one character.

The dress uniform worn by Preston in the not without incident shootout was based on the mourning uniform worn by Bruce Lee in Jing wu men (Fist of Fury/the Chinese Connection)

Sorry, didn't find any smaller images, or actual images from the movies, pretty cool tho Smile

Bruce Lee Action Figure/Doll showing the white dress from Fist of Fury.

John Preston Recreation/Action Figure showing the white dress from Equlibrium.

Last edited by anotherzen on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:41 am; edited 4 times in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Why did not "Jason Goes To Hell" become a blockbuster????

Post  Tony Thulago on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:28 pm

I watched "Jason Goes To Hell" yesterday night. It is a perfect film for late night 31.oktober. It is one of my absolute favorites. There is one thing I do not understand thou, -why did`nt this film become a big hit?? I can`t really understand how Freddy vs. Jason became a blockbuster, when the film I am talking about is so much bether. It is made by Sean S. Cunningham and it has much the same feeling that the first friday-film had.

Tony Thulago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top