Live for Films
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What was the last film you watched?

+24
filmrant
themoviesfive
AgentGraves
CriticalTodd
thesubstream
Asherett
logical_paul
crazzycat
Tony Thulago
pjowens75
Kwamz
catfacer
Deckard
thewarfreak
GonZoyote
Amy Laurel
Nenad
ToxicDeath
Daan
beerbellybirch
Mekka
anotherzen
DeCoursey
Live for Films
28 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

What was the last film you watched? - Page 8 Empty Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post  pjowens75 Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:53 pm

Sherlock Holmes
8/10

This one was just plain fun, especially the interplay between Downey & Law as Holmes & Watson. This is what used to be called a "buddy movie" in the best sense of the term. It has all the little quirks of the Arthur Conan Doyle character, but quite a bit more action. But that's fine with me. If I want the classic Holmes I'll pull out one of my Basil Rathbone or Jeremy Brett versions. But this is definitely the Sherlock Holmes for the 21st century. My only issue with it was that Downy was a little hard to understand at times...he spoke his dialogue just a little too fast for me to catch everything. Oh well, I can go back and catch what I missed when it's released on DVD.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

What was the last film you watched? - Page 8 Empty Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post  CriticalTodd Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:08 pm

(500) Days of Summer - Meh. Didn't really dig the characters. It's tries to hard to be that quirky, funny, yet serious movie and doesn't quite make it.

Funny People - Loved the first half, hated the second half. It could have been a great version of Punchline but instead it became the Punchline version of... something else.

CriticalTodd

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:42 am

Had a few mates round last night and watched:

Moon 9/10 - still a stunning piece of film and a great bit of sci-fi. Sam Rockwell is amazing

Rambo 7/10 - nice little film. Well nice is the wrong word as the violence is bloody and gory. Some bits that made you go Owww!

Family Guy - Something Something...Dark Side - 7 /10 - great attention to detail and some very funny bits, bit lots of jokes fell flat.
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

http://www.liveforfilms.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:57 am

Alvin & The Chipmunks 2: The Squeakquel

4/10 - As you would expect it to be - Jason Lee and Zachary Levi must have been paid a lot. However, it was my 3 year old daughters first trip to the cinema and she loved it. Sat and watched the whole thing while munching on popcorn.
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:58 pm

STAR TREK
9/10

Wow. This is the shot in the arm that the whole franchise really needed. Were there major plot holes? Yes. Did it stray too far from the established Star Trek "mythology"? Definitely...but that's what made it work best. It is now on a new road away from the dead-end street that it was on. Well done.

DISTRICT 9
7/10

Perfect example of how it doesn't take a hundred million dollar budget to make a good film. Intelligent and thought-provoking, while providing just enough blood & gore to satisfy the action film fan. Knocked off a point because it was difficult to understand the dialogue in parts.

NINE
4/10

If Marion Cottilard hadn't completely sucked me into this, I probably wouldn't have watched the whole thing. I just didn't believe any of the other characters...the actors just seemed to be going through the motions. The only one I believed was Cottilard, whose emotions were very well expressed through just her eyes. Very sad that the only thing worth watching in a film filled with beautiful women in lingerie, was the only one who remained fully clothed.

Last edited by pjowens75 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:24 pm

pjowens75 wrote:NINE
4/10

If Marion Cottilard hadn't completely sucked me into this, I probably wouldn't have watched the whole thing. I just didn't believe any of the other characters...the actors just seemed to be going through the motions. The only one I believed was Cottilard, whose emotions were very well expressed through just her eyes. Very sad that the only thing worth watching in a film filled with beautiful women in lingerie, was the only one who remained fully clothed.
That last line made me laugh.

She was luminous at the Public Enemies Press conference. Plus I got to speak to her there. I know I've mentioned it before, but one of the highlights I've had related to the LFF site. Smile
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:33 pm

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
7/10

This one surprised me a little. I've never read the book, although I've heard all the talk about how a 14 page childrens book got turned into a 2 hour picture, so I went in not expecting much. Turned out to be a pretty good little film. All the voices worked well (I liked how everything was all "matter of fact") and were very underplayed. And the kid who played Max (Max Records) can be proud. I found myself hoping to see Carol come over the hill just as much as Max did.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:32 am

I also saw Where the wild things are, I think if you've read the book, it would have been better, because i did not really like it, the effects were very cool though.
Daan
Daan

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:36 pm

INHERIT THE WIND (1960)
8/10

Spencer Tracy at his best in this film adaptation of the play, based on a pivotal court case in American history, when a simple school teacher was prosecuted for teaching Darwin's theory of evolution in the classroom. This has always been my favorite Spencer Tracy movie, and since I haven't seen it in 20 years or so, I'd forgotten just how good Gene Kelly is, as well, as a wise-cracking, cynical, Chicago reporter.

CRAZY HEART
8/10

This one left me feeling a little melancholy, perhaps because I identified with Bad Blake, the country singer whose career is in a downward spiral. But I think a lot of men my age will identify with him, because they will recognize him as just a normal guy like you or me. And it's Jeff Bridges performance that makes that possible. Awards are usually given to actors for playing extraordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. It isn't very often that an actor gets attention for playing simply a normal man dealing with everyday issues in his own life. But Bridges had me hanging on every word, and wincing as he dealt with the results of his own way of life. And in the end, I found myself simply wishing him well. A good movie containing a great performance.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:49 am

The Hurricane 9/10

This is a really good movie, good acting and a great story.
I don't care if it's incorrect about some facts, i don't know the whole backstory of it all, but it's just an entertaining movie to watch.
Daan
Daan

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:25 pm

MOON
8/10

This is easily one of my top 3 science fiction films of the year, and the only 1 of the 3 that doesn't have Zoe Saldana in it. A very welcome return to thinking man science fiction, along the lines of 2001 or SILENT RUNNING. Great concept and direction, and great acting by Sam Rockwell.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:25 pm

THE PROPOSAL
5/10

I like Sandra Bullock. I think she's cute. Problem is, she has the worst taste in scripts, so I don't watch many of her movies anymore. And let's face it, is there anything on earth more predictable than a Hollywood romantic comedy? Well, if you absolutely HAVE to watch one to keep your spouse or girlfriend happy, this one is better than most.

Last edited by pjowens75 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:10 pm

500 DAYS OF SUMMER
6/10

Finally! A romantic comedy that isn't predictable! That isn't to say it's great, but at least Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson don't end up together in this one...oh, wait, that's every other romantic comedy that's ever been made. Joseph Gordon-Leavitt does a pretty good job in this one, but as far as I can tell, Zooey Deschanel only has one expression. Oh, well.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:09 pm

pjowens75 wrote:500 DAYS OF SUMMER
6/10

Finally! A romantic comedy that isn't predictable! That isn't to say it's great, but at least Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson don't end up together in this one...oh, wait, that's every other romantic comedy that's ever been made. Joseph Gordon-Leavitt does a pretty good job in this one, but as far as I can tell, Zooey Deschanel only has one expression. Oh, well.

Zooey Deschanel (tin man) and her sister Emily Deschanel (Bones) both have only one expression ^^ It was really wierd then they both where in a Bones episode at the same time.
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 pm

anotherzen said:
Zooey Deschanel (tin man) and her sister Emily Deschanel (Bones) both have only one expression ^^ It was really wierd then they both where in a Bones episode at the same time.

I saw that episode! Did you notice they also have the same voice? LOL
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:53 am

Valkyrie 8/10

very good, had me sitting on the edge of my chair (even when i already knew the ending), great cast too.
Daan
Daan

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:29 pm

UP IN THE AIR
6/10
Not sure why everyone is so hot on this one. It's okay, but nothing special. And the interviews just before the end credits seem like either an excuse or an apology, and do nothing but cheapen it.

THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS
8/10
To me, at least, the better of the two George Clooney movies, this one more of a comedy. It's kind of goofy and no one knew quite what to make of it when it first came out. I think it's hilarious and just may become a cult classic.

THE HURT LOCKER
7/10
I'm not a big fan of war films, but this is the best I've seen in a long time. Bigelow does a great job of making you feel like you're really there. A buddy in Viet Nam once told me that the scariest thing was that you never heard the bullets coming. In a fire fight there are bullets flying everywhere, so hearing them isn't important. But on patrol, if a sniper shoots, all you hear is a small "thump" and someone's head explodes. It's that feeling of not knowing where to look, or who to watch, that Bigelow really captures here. She deserves the directing Oscar.

THE THIRD MAN (1949)
9/10
Just saw this for the first time...damn it's good. Orson Welles got almost top billing in this, and even though he is only in 5 or 10 minutes of this movie, he commands attention everytime he's on screen...amazing. Almost, but not quite, the perfect film.

TREMORS
8/10
For the movie club. What a kick!
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:15 pm

pjowens75 wrote:THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS
8/10
To me, at least, the better of the two George Clooney movies, this one more of a comedy. It's kind of goofy and no one knew quite what to make of it when it first came out. I think it's hilarious and just may become a cult classic.

THE HURT LOCKER
7/10

THE THIRD MAN (1949)
9/10

Totally agree with you on those films. Goats is just so funny and Clooney is brilliant. The bit in the cell when he says I'm going to distract you with my mind is class.

Hurt Locker - Sniper scene is very intense.

The Third Man - Deservedly a classic and when i went to Vienna years ago we tried to get to as many of the places it was shot as we good. Ah cuckoo clocks!
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:24 am

seen alot of movies lately, but cant remember them all, but the latest was

(He-Man) Masters of the Universe
(with dolph lundgren \o/)

6/10

Been ages since i saw this one.
Well, its not really what i would call a he-man movie, but its got heart, it keeps children entertained, it has lots of sound and lights,
funny moments, its got Dolph and Courteney Cox, and stuff..
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:48 am

The Wolfman - 6.5 / 10

You can see the flaws where the rewrites and different directors got involved, but it has a great look and a nice feel to it. Proper old school gothic horror. Del Toro was great and Hopkins underplayed his part making it very sinister. The main fault was it felt rushed as every scene skipped through to the next.

Would love to see a few different cuts of it. Worth a watch.

Leon - 9 / 10

Still a great film by Luc Besson. One of Gary Oldman's best psycho acts, Jean Reno is brill - a man child one minute, a merciless killer the next. Natalie Portman blows them all away in her first proper role.

The Princess & The Frog - 7 / 10

Some nice characters. Keith David as the Shadowman was great. Songs weren't too hot, but the animation was lovely and my kids loved it. Like the Wolfman it felt rushed in places.
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:44 pm

Live for Films wrote:Leon - 9 / 10

Still a great film by Luc Besson. One of Gary Oldman's best psycho acts, Jean Reno is brill - a man child one minute, a merciless killer the next. Natalie Portman blows them all away in her first proper role.

Agree 100% on this one. This one is almost the perfect film. And although everyone doesa GREAT job, it is really Portman who makes the whole thing work. Her "open the door, please open the door" scene is one of the greatest scenes in cinema.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:16 am

It's been a while since we saw these, but ill post it anyway, this marks the end of the Steven Seagal marathon we had ^^
now.. where are all the Dolph Lundgren movies hiding..

Steven Seagal Wave #4 (the final wave)

Attack Force 3/10
A seemingly fun sci-fi/horror movie gets butchered by the studio and re-shoot much of the movie and dubbed the majority of Seagals voice. the result = lol.

Flight of Fury 4/10
Hero tries to steal back a stolen experimental jet thingy. oh the originality.

Urban Justice 5,5/10
This one wasn't really that bad, its downright almost decent!

Pistol Whipped 5/10
Not bad either, but falls short because of production.

the Onion Movie 8/10
Great, funny and the Steven Seagal parts are what really makes this movie lol.

Kill Switch 4/10
This movie is wierd, because one part of the story is really good, detective vs mysterious serial killer,
if this had been the whole movie, prolly would have given it 6/10 maybe more. But then there is the other
storyline, of another serial killer... that is more like 2/10.

Against the Dark 3,5/10
Meh, a nice start, but then it all goes down hill towards the end.

Driven to Kill 5/10
Decent, gives us some good characters and a decent story, as usual, not very well produced.

the Keeper 5/10
Also a not so bad movie, with abit more budget and a few better supporting actors, this could
be in the leage of Transporter 2 and the likes.

a Dangerous Man 4/10
Some decent actors, bad plot
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 am

Defendor
8,5/10
(bordering on a 9)

Great movie with alot to offer in terms of characters and society, friendship and belief.
Awesome actors and story makes this satirical, drama/(dark) comedy a wonderful film and
i recommend it to everyone. The biggest problem is that its being promoted as a straight
comedy for some reason at several sites, its not, not by a long shot.
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:13 pm

anotherzen wrote:Defendor
8,5/10
(bordering on a 9)

Great movie with alot to offer in terms of characters and society, friendship and belief.
Awesome actors and story makes this satirical, drama/(dark) comedy a wonderful film and
i recommend it to everyone. The biggest problem is that its being promoted as a straight
comedy for some reason at several sites, its not, not by a long shot.

I really want to see that film - fancy doing a bigger review for the site?
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:34 am

Live for Films wrote:

I really want to see that film - fancy doing a bigger review for the site?

I can try hehe, i am not really good at writing and getting my point across, but ill give it a shot Smile
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next