Live for Films
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2010 - February 13th (Monster Movie Extravaganza) Deep Rising

3 posters

Go down

2010 - February 13th (Monster Movie Extravaganza) Deep Rising Empty 2010 - February 13th (Monster Movie Extravaganza) Deep Rising

Post  anotherzen Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 am

Second movie in the Monster Movie Extravaganza is

Deep Rising: 1998

Directed by: Stephen Sommers
Starring: Treat Williams, Kevin J. O'Connor, Anthony Heald.

imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118956/

One of my personal favourites, its fun, actionpacked, have great actors and anti-hero/Villanious characters, incredible CGI that still imo holds up with the very best.

If the cash is there, then we do not care.

anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

2010 - February 13th (Monster Movie Extravaganza) Deep Rising Empty Re: 2010 - February 13th (Monster Movie Extravaganza) Deep Rising

Post  pjowens75 Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Got to this late...had company over the weekend, but I'd forgotten what a great little monster flick it is. There's nothing deep to it at all: big boat, good guys, bad guys, big bad monster, bloody mayhem. What more could you ask for? I think the thing I liked most was that there was no preaching about how "mankind is effecting nature and creating these giant monsters". There's none of that here, as where the monster comes from is pretty much explained even before the opening credits.

I was surprised to see Djimon Hounsou in a supporting bad guy role. And I think the best lines were given to Kevin J. Connor as Joey, the wise-cracking freak. This movie should be so cheesy, with its extremely stereotypical characters, and its even more extreme predictability, but it comes off istead as SOO much fun!

Best kill: toilet lady.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

2010 - February 13th (Monster Movie Extravaganza) Deep Rising Empty Re: 2010 - February 13th (Monster Movie Extravaganza) Deep Rising

Post  Live for Films Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:29 pm

I always enjoy this film and I too had forgotten Hounsou was in it. For me though Treat Williams is the man. I always love his stuff and often wonder why he never quite made the jump to A list. He is a great actor.

Great monster and cool deaths and I always love films where people are wandering around an abandoned base, ship, craft etc trying to figure out what has happened to the previous occupants.

Deep Rising also has a great ending which could so easily tie into Lost Smile

Would have loved to have seen more of the characters in another film.
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

http://www.liveforfilms.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Live For Films said:
For me though Treat Williams is the man. I always love his stuff and often wonder why he never quite made the jump to A list. He is a great actor.

I agree completely. I've been a fan ever since HAIR. His big breakout movie was supposed to have been PRINCE OF THE CITY (1981). If that had been better received I think he would have become a major player. And although it did get a couple of Oscar nominations, it wasn't the big financial or critical success the studio was hoping for. Since then, he's stayed busy doing lots of movies and TV, but nothing really stands out until DEEP RISING.

I've never followed LOST...tried a couple of episodes but got lost pretty quickly. But from what I did see, the DEEP RISING final scene really could make an interesting spin on it. If nothing else, it would have made for a great sequel!
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:17 am

didn't get to Deep Rising untill last night, and its always enjoyable to watch. As stated before, its so great because its just a fun ride,
there is no deeper meaning, no hidden message, just action, horror and comedy all the way. And i also love how it just goes straight
to the point.

The cast is wonderful, they really got together people who look the part and everyone is a good/great actor, they just slip into the
setting pretty much seamlessly.

I always hoped they would make a sequel, just think of all the fun they could have on that volcanic island, its like king kong, meets lost
meets journey to the centre of the earth, all wrapped in the great thing that is Deep Rising.

Best quote: Almost every sentence is a fun quote in this movie ^^
Best kill: Axe to the head.

And that jetski through the corridors scene at the end.. just perfect Smile
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down