Live for Films
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2009 - December 19: BUCKAROO BANZAI

3 posters

Go down

2009 - December 19: BUCKAROO BANZAI Empty 2009 - December 19: BUCKAROO BANZAI

Post  pjowens75 Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:15 pm

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086856/

This is a cult classic! Enjoy!

There's nothing too deep to keep an eye out for, so I've got just a couple of discussion points:

Would the movie have been better or worse with bigger budget special effects?
Is the movie too "dated" in look and dialogue to attract a new audience?
If the announced sequel mentioned at the end of the closing credits were made today, would it be worth it? Who would you cast as Buckaroo?
Does it deserve its cult following?
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

2009 - December 19: BUCKAROO BANZAI Empty Re: 2009 - December 19: BUCKAROO BANZAI

Post  Live for Films Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:42 pm

So mad yet so good
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

http://www.liveforfilms.com

Back to top Go down

2009 - December 19: BUCKAROO BANZAI Empty Re: 2009 - December 19: BUCKAROO BANZAI

Post  Live for Films Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:46 pm

pjowens75 wrote:Would the movie have been better or worse with bigger budget special effects?
Is the movie too "dated" in look and dialogue to attract a new audience?
If the announced sequel mentioned at the end of the closing credits were made today, would it be worth it? Who would you cast as Buckaroo?
Does it deserve its cult following?
I think it would have lost some of it's charm with a bigger budget.

However, like Captain Beefheart's album, Trout Mask Replica, I know many people don't like Buckaroo Banzai on first viewing - it's hard to get into and tricksy to follow what exactly is going on. Then you reach a zen like point where your mind goes "Ahh I get it know" and suddenly you are there, one of the Blue Blazer Irregulars and loving every minute of it.

I've been trying to think who could be cast in it if they did make the sequel and it is a tough one.

Robert Downey Jr could possibly play Buckaroo, but I think a lesser known actor would work better so you buy into the myth more.
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

http://www.liveforfilms.com

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:32 pm

I agree, it would loose its charm if remade or being on a bigger budget, some of the things that makes it work is the quality of the
movie and it gives it just the right feel Smile As for a sequel, if it would be made, it would be fun if they tried to make it in the same
quality as the original, and just don't use much CGI, and go for a low-budget style. They said they would do that with Crystal Skulls
but, they didn't do it enough.

Still i find the movie wacky and fun, with a touch of insanity ^^ Good stuffs.
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:37 pm

I FINALLY had time to watch this again...started a new job that just doesn't give me the time to watch as many as I'd like.

Anyway, this film still has everything I liked about it in the first place. One of the things that make it so fun is the fact that it IS so dated, at least as far as fashion. And the effects aren't that bad and hold up pretty well. The spaceships are totally unique and fit right in with the Caribbean feel of the Lectoids.

I watched what's called "The extended version", which only has a different beginning, showing how Buckaroo's father is sabotaged and killed during a very early overthruster test. Interestingly, Jamie Lee Curtis plays his mother in that short scene. It was filmed to help lead into the planned sequel with the "World Crime League", where Buckaroo was supposed to battle the villain that was responsible for his parents death.

But, I'm glad that sequel never got made. This really is a stand alone film that needs no sequel. In fact, mentioning the sequel at the end just adds to the satire & humor. I also hope that it's never remade. Just like Perfect Tommy, there's no need.

"It drives like a truck." "Good...what's a truck?"
And it, along with BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, are among the most quotable films of all time; filled with words of wisdom that only make sense if you don't think about them. This film will last forever.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down