Live for Films
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What was the last film you watched?

+24
filmrant
themoviesfive
AgentGraves
CriticalTodd
thesubstream
Asherett
logical_paul
crazzycat
Tony Thulago
pjowens75
Kwamz
catfacer
Deckard
thewarfreak
GonZoyote
Amy Laurel
Nenad
ToxicDeath
Daan
beerbellybirch
Mekka
anotherzen
DeCoursey
Live for Films
28 posters

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

What was the last film you watched? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post  Live for Films Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:35 pm

pjowens75 wrote:Spirited Away
Tried watching it last night for the 4th time (yawn). It always puts me to sleep. Last night I made it all the way through to the end. Gotta ask myself "why?". Sooo sloooww... Miyazaki's most over-rated.
I love Spirited Away. Thought the story was superb and the art work stunning. Mind you I thought Howl's Moving Castle was a tedious mess.
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

http://www.liveforfilms.com

Back to top Go down

What was the last film you watched? - Page 4 Empty Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post  pjowens75 Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:05 pm

Watched OUTLAND last night...sort of a High Noon in space, with Sean Connery & Peter Boyle. It holds up a lot better than I would've thought. Could have been made today. But the DVD is a real crappy transfer and, from what I can tell, there's no new one in the works. Oh, well. Still a good movie.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:24 pm

pjowens75 wrote:Watched OUTLAND last night...sort of a High Noon in space, with Sean Connery & Peter Boyle. It holds up a lot better than I would've thought. Could have been made today. But the DVD is a real crappy transfer and, from what I can tell, there's no new one in the works. Oh, well. Still a good movie.
Outland is a brill film. They used some weird back projection thing for some of the planet base scenes.

Connery was very cool in it.

Nothing worse than a rubbish transfer though
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Deckard Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:23 am

pjowens75 wrote:Watched OUTLAND last night...sort of a High Noon in space, with Sean Connery & Peter Boyle. It holds up a lot better than I would've thought. Could have been made today. But the DVD is a real crappy transfer and, from what I can tell, there's no new one in the works. Oh, well. Still a good movie.

i take it its not the same as 'Outlander' which i just suffered on a DVD trailer track.

saw Let the Right One in. was fantastic
Deckard
Deckard

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:17 pm

Deckard wrote:I take it its not the same as 'Outlander' which i just suffered on a DVD trailer track.

Definitely NOT Outlander. Here's the imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082869/
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:01 pm

I saw Moon for the second time last night followed by Dr No on the big screen.

Moon was as good as I remember, my love for it won't fade.

Seeing Dr No at the cinema was amazing. I was like a giddy fan girl. I never thought I'd get to see Connery's Bond on the big screen. Just seeing all the famous 'Bond lines/characteristics' appearing for the first time was excellent. Luckily I haven't seen the film for many years so although I remembered a lot a lot seemed fresh.
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:22 am

THE DISH - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205873/
Wonderful little Australian film about the antenna that relayed to Houston the Apollo 11 walk on the moon. Based on a true story (but embellished a little).

This movie has absolutely nothing going for it...no effects, no action, no famous stars (except for Sam Neill), but it works. And where it works is in how it captures the sense of awe, the sense of wonder that we all felt as we sat in front of our television sets watching it happen (and yes, I'm old enough to remember watching every launch, from Alan Shepard up through the end of the Apollo program). I rented it on the advice of a fellow space junkie, but tomorrow I'm ordering it for my collection.

Last edited by pjowens75 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited to fix spelling of Apollo...I'm an idiot.)
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:48 pm

I love The Dish. It's a perfect little film for me. I watched it because of the Apollo link. I should have been disappointed as that was very little of the actual film. The great character studies made my day though.

PJ - You've probably read it but if not I recommend Moondust, by Andrew Smith. It's the tale of the author tracking down the surviving Moon walkers. I've just finished a reread.
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks, Mekka. I picked up Moondust last year, and it's in the middle of my "to read" shelf. I'll move it to the top of the list now.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 pm

STARDUST
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/

A little disappointing really. Unlike The Dish, which had almost nothing going for it, Stardust had almost everything going for it: lots of action, lots of effects, big budget, big name stars. But whereas The Dish made a remarkable little film out of very little, Stardust makes only a so-so film out of abundance. Main problem was that I just didn't really care about the characters. Everyone does a good job, especially DeNiro as Pirate Shakespeare, but the script doesn't give the actors very much to build on. A shame really.

Not a waste of time, though. And not a bad movie. But armed with all those ingredients, it should have been more than just so-so.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Rescue Dawn – 7/10 – Werner Herzog film starring Christian Bale and Steve Zahn, Based on a true story during the Vietnam War. Basically a prisoner of war and escape film. Acting was brilliant. Especially Zahn and you really get the feel of Vietnam. Recommended.

Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous – 4/10 – I loved this Fred Ward action film when I was a kid, but watching it now it has aged badly and you realise that Remo doesn’t really do much in the way of fighting. Disappointing.

Hellboy 2 – 8 / 10 – Flows and looks better than the first one. Everyone is comfier in their own skin and the Troll Market looks amazing. Luke Goss does another great bad guy. Let down a little near the end as the big battle felt rushed.

Into the Wild – 9/10 – Wonderful film directed by Sean Penn and starring Emile Hirsch. Looks gorgeous, great soundtrack, brilliant acting and stays with you for a long long time.
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:57 am

Coco Avant Chanel - 7/10 - Good film about the early years of Coco. Audrey Tautou was lovely as always, but a very different character to Amelie and A Very Long Engagement. However, the film was a little slow in places and jumped ahead through time quite a bit. You also never really got to know the inner workings of the people. Still lovely to watch.
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

Back to top Go down

What was the last film you watched? - Page 4 Empty Space: Above & Beyond

Post  pjowens75 Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Not a film really, but SPACE: ABOVE & BEYOND a TV series I watched when ir first came out. I remeber being very impressed with it on TV, so picked it up on DVD as soon as it was released.

I watched it again this weekend and, although I still like it a lot, it didn't have the same impact on me as it once did. I think that the reason for this is because the show has absolutely no sense of humor...none, not even a chuckle, anywhere in it's entire single season. Granted, the subject, althougth along the lines of Starship Troopers, is very dark. Not only is Earth in a very desperate situation, but the characters are all dealing with traumatic elements in their own lives. This is all well and good, but would have been easier to deal with if even a little humor was used to ease the depressing atmosphere of the whole thing.

Also, I don't think I noticed it before because I originally watched the shows as they were broadcast, once a week. This time I watched the entire season in 3 days, so the atmosphere didn't have a week between episodes to dissipate.

Still, though, a very underrated show that deserved better than it got. Catch it if you can...just not all at once.

BTW, there's a good aricle on the show over here: http://io9.com/5345352/why-space-above-and-beyond-blazed-new-trails?skyline=true&s=x
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Mad Max 7/10

Just what i needed, a not too lengthy action movie. 90 minutes of cool.

EDIT:

So a couple of days after i saw mad max, i bought Mad Max 2, and it was even better then part 1.
More of everything, more wasteland, more car chases, more action.
but they all had a british/australian accent all of a sudden? or did i just miss that in part 1?
anyway 8/10

Surviving The Game

I love this movie, Rutger Hauer plays an awesome badguy, and i even like Gary Busey in this.
7/10
Daan
Daan

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Delgo

I'd read that this movie wasn't really bad, but tanked at the box office because of bad release timing and absolutely zero publicity. I can believe the zero publicity part because I'd never heard of it until the Avatar/Delgo comparisons popping up every where.

I think it didn't get a lot of publicity because they didn't know how to market it...is it a kid's movie, or an adult's movie? Well, it's a little of both, but not enough of either. So it just sort of lies there. Too bad, because it has a top flight voice cast, and good 3D animation.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 am

Daan wrote:

So a couple of days after i saw mad max, i bought Mad Max 2, and it was even better then part 1.
More of everything, more wasteland, more car chases, more action.
but they all had a british/australian accent all of a sudden? or did i just miss that in part 1?
anyway 8/10

As far as i can remember, Mad Max 1 was dubbed with an American voicetrack when it first got released at the cinema, and maybe even VHS.
Mel Gibson is Australian, or atleast was at some point, i think ^^

I think the DvD or some DvDs should have the original voicetrack on it, maybe as a seperate auidotrack,
the one i watched not so long ago had the original voicetrack atleast =)

I agree, Mad Max 2 is better than the first Smile
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Oh i see, thanks for clearing that up.
It was kind of bothering me when i was watching it. Razz
Daan
Daan

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Figured I'd take another look at this, what with all the news of a reboot. Turned out to be not as bad as they say. I'm old enough to have read the original comics (was a big Marvel fan in the early 60's), and a lot of the staging of the film, even the poses of the F4, could have come directly out of the original comics. Casting could have been better, especially Sue Storm & Reed Richards. And even though Michael Chiklis does all he can with Ben Grimm, it's wasted under the heavy padded costume. He would be much better voicing a CGI Thing. But IMHO, it isn't as bad as it's reputation.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Live for Films Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Moon - 9/10 - best sci-fi film in a long time. Brilliant. Sam Rockwell was amazing

Inglourious Basterds - 8/10 - Great dialogue, funny, but not enough Basterds

The Last Samurai - 7/10 - Love the Japanese scenery. Ken Watanabe is great. Some cool fights. Tom Cruise did a good job
Live for Films
Live for Films
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Humanitys End
5/10

entertaining, bad jokes, cheezy, bad acting, crappy overlay effects,
some ok cgi at times, nukelaunching handguns and a not so cooperative ships computer.

should be seen while drunk or drinking, and not alone. Smile

The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon
9/10

Epic short movie.
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:51 am

District 9
10/10

instant classic.
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  pjowens75 Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:18 pm

LEON (The Professional) - 1994 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/

Luc Besson never ceases to amaze me. More akin to NIKITA than THE FIFTH ELEMENT, this has become one of my favorite films. He always seems to pick the perfect actors for his movies. I just can't imagine this film being done with anyone else but Jean Reno, Natalie Portman, and the best "over the top" actor in the business, Gary Oldman.
pjowens75
pjowens75

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:36 am

Watchmen

I saw this movie was out on DVD, so i rented it yesterday, i liked it, it was cool, but i think if you've read the comics it would be more satisfying.
What i liked the most (besides Rorschach) was the soundtrack, it was awesome, and that opening scene was brilliant. 7/10
Daan
Daan

Back to top Go down

Post  anotherzen Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:50 am

Terra
6/10

Allright, good for children, but not made for adults at all imo, simple story but effective,
decent CG for this kind of storytelling. Overall an above average sci-fi childrens movie.

Gamer
7/10

Not as good as i hoped, but fun and action packed, feels abit rushed, but not too short.
Half-interesting storyline that made it not so mindless action of doom as feks. Shoot'em Up or Crank.
From a gamers perspective, much of the lingo didn't make much sense, one would have thought that
everyone in that day and age knew what ping and fragged was Razz And the UI where he buy the weapons
and armor looked craptastic, might have been just me, but looking at an icon for something and bying it
for a random number makes no sense. Still the action was solid, performances where solid tho i still think
they should have casted Clive Owen as the main guy istead of Gerard Butler Razz And the music was fun,
+ for the musical number in the movie too.
anotherzen
anotherzen

Back to top Go down

Post  Daan Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:48 pm

3:10 to Yuma (2007) 9/10

I always thought that newer western films were fake and boring, but this was awesome.
I haven't seen the original so that one could be better.

Blade Runner 7,5/10

Liked this one, a bit too futuristic for me, but it was cool.
Daan
Daan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next